By reducing the ecological footprint of your home, you can not only be better to the environment, but you can also save a ton of money on your electrical bills.

Below, Timur Yusufov, a Maryland real estate developer, outlines a few important ways you can make your home more energy efficient:

1. Use CFL and LED Light Bulbs

Replacing all of your incandescent light bulbs goes a long way towards saving you money on your electricity bill. With incandescent bulbs, only 10% of the energy consumed is converted into light, with the other 90% converted into heat. Changing from incandescent to compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or LED lights can reduce the energy use required by lighting by up to 75%.

2. Change to a Tankless Water Heater


Tankless water heaters are ‘demand-type’ water heaters where hot water is provided only as it is needed. More traditional water heaters can bump up electricity costs as they continue to operate on standby when not in use.

3. Ensure Your Home is Properly Insulated

To reduce the amount of energy that your home uses, a simple solution is often found just by ensuring a tight seal on all doors and windows. It’s common for electricity bills to be further inflated during the hot summer and cold winter months simply due to the fact that the air being used to cool or heat your home is escaping through improper seals. Re-sealing your doors and windows can not only save you money on energy, but it can also improve the quality of air in your home.

4. Buy Energy-Efficient Appliances

Having eco-friendly washing machines, dryers, dish washers, and ovens can drastically reduce the amount of energy your home uses. While these new eco-friendly models often cost more, they’ll save you money down the line when it comes to your electricity bills, says Timur Yusufov.

5. Install Efficient Shower Heads and Toilets

As items that you use every day, it’s important that your shower head and toilet are not costing you extra money. New low-flow shower heads will reduce the amount of water used while showering and dual flush toilets let you choose between two different volumes of water per flush.